My name is Jean Mellor and I have been teaching at CHCS since 1988. I graduated from the University of Akron with a Bachelor's degree in elementary education. I am also certified in reading for K-12. God led me to CHCS when my children were ready for pre-school. Not only did they have an excellent school for them, but there also was a place for me as the kindergarten teacher. Both of my children graduated from CHCS. I now teach second grade. First graders are learning to read and beginning to develop math and writing skills that will serve them the rest of their lives. I love their enthusiasm for learning. I am grateful that God has allowed me to serve him here at CHCS. God has truly blessed my family and me through this ministry.
What's Special About Second Grade?
At this level we are taking what they have learned during Kindergarten and encouraging them to use it independently. By the end of grade 1, students:
- Read grade appropriate materials independently and with comprehension
- Develop Godly character
- Express his/her thoughts clearly using correct grammar and spelling
- Master basic facts in addition and subtraction
Major Events and Projects This Year
- Social Studies Communities
- Schwebels Bread Factory
- Magical Theatre: encourages a love for literature
- Second Graders learn to use the computer for Animal research projects